Friday 14 August 2009

New Look and the Cows

As of today my blog has a new look, a new feel and a very definate more regular input!

Recently the novel has been playing on my mind, and Mrs Yettman is using that to her advantage. She is pushing me into entering a few writing competitions and I'm not sure that my work is good enough as yet. As flippant as it sounds, it just doesn't feel ready! So I am attempting to soldier on with my novel. It is coming along quite nicely now that I know the cows are the key. Yes. You read correctly. The cows are the main focal point of my novel! It came as a suprise to me too, especially seeing as I had been busy writing about estranged fathers and abortions. Anyway, I think that the cows are working to bring the whole thing together.


This brings me on to my next topic of conversation - theory! I have studied in fair depth the relativley new ecocriticism theory that is causing debate in the literary world, and I have found that without really being aware of it myself, that reading my novel is like waving a massive green flag for ecocriticism from the top of Big Ben! Since realising this, I have been able to to do two things.

One - allow this overwhelming urge to indulge in ecocriticism to continue as it has been, as well as helping it to grow and show itself in even clearer terms. Perhaps I could even let it change the climax of my novel so that it represents a theoretical response as appose to just a good story! I could follow in the footsteps of great ecocritical writers and force the theory upon not only myself but my readers too! (If I am ever lucky enough to have any!)

OR

Two - I could ignore it and carry on as I am.

Not being able to fully decide, or even strike an immediate balance between the two I have found myself writing two versions of everything in the vain hope that I will be able to marry them together later on in the process... foolish? Probably.

Oh well. I hope you enjoy my new look blog, and I am sure that the cows will be back to see you all soon...

0 comments: